- Distinguished by its svelte, rangefinder-inspired design, the FUJIFILM GFX 50R is a sleek medium format mirrorless camera that is notably portable and highly capable. Revolving around a 43.8 x 32.9mm 51.4MP CMOS sensor, which is paired with the X-Processor Pro image processor, the GFX 50R is capable of producing high-resolution still imagery with an extremely wide dynamic range, a broad sensitivity range up to an extended ISO 102400, and the sensor’s large size contributes to a unique three-dimensional look with especially smooth tonal and color transitions. The sensor and processor also enable recording Full HD 1080p30 video.Benefitting the imaging capabilities is a comfortable physical design, which incorporates a 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder for bright, clear eye-level viewing. Alternatively, the rear 3.2″ 2.36m-dot touchscreen LCD features a three-way tilting design that supports working from high and low angles, even when shooting in the vertical orientation. Additionally, the GFX 50R has a durable magnesium-alloy build that is also dust- and weather-sealed, as well as freezeproof down to 14°F, for working in trying environmental conditions.51.4MP CMOS Sensor and X-Processor ProUtilizing a large, 43.8 x 32.9mm 51.4MP CMOS sensor and X-Processor Pro, the GFX 50R is capable of delivering high-resolution, 14-bit stills with a 14-stop wide dynamic range as well as a broad sensitivity range of ISO 100-12800, which can be extended to ISO 50-102400. The large size of each pixel allows for more efficient light gathering, too, for smoother tonal and color transitions to produce a characteristic three-dimensional “medium format look.” Also contributing to several medium format looks, a variety of traditional medium and large format aspect ratios can be used in addition to the standard 4:3, including 1:1, 65:24, 5:4, 7:6, 3:2, and 16:9.The image processor and sensor also lend a versatile edge to the system, and permit shooting continuously up to 3 fps or for recording Full HD 1080p video at 29.97, 25, 24, and 23.98 fps frame rates. Film Simulation modes, including a Color Chrome Effect to produce subtle tonality among highly saturated colors, can be used in conjunction with video recording, too, to lessen the need for color correction during post production.Body Design
117-Point Autofocus SystemA contrast-detection autofocus system is employed that uses 117 total points, which can be further divided into 425 points, for notable focusing speed and accuracy that is especially beneficial when working with the inherent shallow depth of field of medium format. Focus point selection is possible using the integrated Focus Lever for intuitive switching between points and, alternatively, the rear touchscreen can also be used for selecting precise focus areas. Face and Eye Detection AF are also available to benefit portraiture, and an electronic depth of field scale can be used for more critical selective focus. Additionally, focus peaking is available in manual focus mode as well as frame magnification for more critical focusing.Other Camera Features
- Rangefinder-inspired design is compact and lightweight, and by placing the viewfinder in the upper corner of the body design, it is possible to keep one eye on the viewfinder while surveying the scene with the other.
- Magnesium-alloy body construction is both lightweight and durable, and the camera system is sealed in 64 places to render it weather- and dust-resistant, as well as freezeproof down to 14°F, for use in inclement conditions.
- Built-in 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder offers high-resolution, 0.77x-magnification eye-level viewing.
- A 3.2″ 2.36m-dot touchscreen LCD is also available for image playback, menu navigation, and live view shooting. This LCD features a unique tilting design that moves both 45° downward and 90° upward for shooting from high and low angles, and also tilts 60° to the side to benefit shooting in the vertical orientation when in live view.
- A series of dedicated dials are placed about the body for independently adjusting aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.
- Included NP-T125 rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 400 shots per charge when Auto Power Save is on.
- Built-in Bluetooth low energy allows for direct wireless sharing of files as well as remote camera control from a linked mobile device.
- The FUJIFILM G lens mount features a short focal flange distance of just 26.7mm to better facilitate adapting lenses and to allow for reduced back focusing distances to better prevent vignetting and promote edge-to-edge sharpness with the GF series of lenses.
- Film Simulation modes allow you to reproduce the look and feel of several of FUJIFILM’s film types, including Provia, Velvia, Astia, Classic Chrome, Pro Neg. Hi, Pro Neg. Standard, Acros, Monochrome, and Sepia. Additionally, Grain Effect can be adjusted as well as Classic Chrome effect to fine-tune the look of imagery.
- Dual UHS-II SD memory card slots are featured, and permit saving imagery in a sequential manner, backup/duplicate manner, or in a sorted manner to segregate JPEG and raw files.
- Mechanical focal plane permits working with shutter speeds from 60 minutes up to 1/4000 sec, and an electronic shutter allows the use of shutter speeds up to 1/16000 sec for working in bright light conditions.
- Interval shooting is possible for up to 999 consecutive frames with a 1 sec to 24 hour delay between exposures, as well as up to a 24 hours shutter delay.
- Multiple Exposure mode lets you shoot two consecutive overlaid frames, and the first frame will be shown on the rear LCD to aid in alignment for the second exposure.
- A variety of file formats are available depending on your workflow needs, and include uncompressed and compressed raw file types; Super Fine, Fine, and Normal JPEG settings; and TIFF files can be output via in-camera raw file development.
- A voice memo function lets you solely record your voice for up to 30 seconds at a time for making notes or keeping track of shooting information.
- 3D Electronic Level can be used to ensure the accuracy of horizontal and vertical lines within your composition.
- Tethered shooting is possible using Capture One Pro for FUJIFILM software to send images from the camera to your computer for further editing. Alternatively, the Tether Shooting Plug-in PRO for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and HS-V5 for Windows operating systems are also available.