Compact design, big feature-set, the FUJIFILM X-S10 is a sleek and versatile mirrorless camera well-suited to walkaround use. Touting capable photo and video features, the X-S10 mixes a portable form factor with the tools needed for everyday content creation.
Featuring the APS-C-sized 26.1MP X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor, the X-S10 supports high-resolution stills shooting, DCI/UHD 4K video at 30 fps, sensitivity from ISO 160-12800, and continuous shooting up to 8 fps with the mechanical shutter. The BSI design of the sensor affords reduced noise and greater overall clarity and is paired with the X-Processor 4 to achieve fast performance and improved responsiveness. The sensor’s design also enables a hybrid autofocus system that combines 425 phase-detection points with a contrast-detection system for quick and accurate AF performance. Also complementing both stills and video is a 5 stop-effective sensor-shift image stabilization system to reduce the appearance of camera shake with almost any mounted lens.
FUJIFILM cameras are well-known for their uniquely intuitive physical designs, and the X-S10 features an updated layout for seamless handling and shooting efficiency, with the most noticeable change being a switch from a conventional shutter speed dial to a mode dial for more general use. The X-S10 also features a bright 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder and rear 3.0″ 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD, which uses a vari-angle design to suit working from high, low, and front-facing angles. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enables wireless remote camera control and image sharing to a mobile device.
26.1MP APS-C X-Trans BSI CMOS 4 Sensor and X-Processor 4
Sporting a versatile and proven sensor, the X-S10 features the APS-C-format 26.1MP X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor, which has a back-illuminated design to achieve smooth tonal and color rendering, improved low-light performance, and a wide native sensitivity range of ISO 160-12800. As an X-Trans sensor, it utilizes a randomized pixel array, too, which provides a high degree of image quality and sharpness due to the omission of an optical low-pass filter. Versus conventional pixel patterns, the X-Trans design more closely mimics the organic nature of film in order to produce nuanced colors and tonal transitions, while also reducing moiré and aliasing.
The sensor’s design also includes an expanded phase-detection autofocus system, which has 425 selectable points that cover nearly the entire sensor area. This AF system delivers faster, more accurate focusing performance in a variety of lighting conditions down to -6 EV. Complementing the imaging and focusing capabilities is the X-Processor 4, which has a quad-core CPU, and delivers faster, more responsive performance throughout the camera system, including a full-resolution 8 fps shooting rate with the mechanical shutter, 20 fps rate with an electronic shutter, or a 30 fps rate with an electronic shutter and a 1.25x crop.
In-Body Image StabilizationBuilt-in 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 5 stops. This system works in conjunction with most X Series lenses, including non-stabilized ones, and benefits working with slower shutter speeds and when shooting in difficult lighting conditions. Additionally, 4-axis digital image stabilization can also be used during video recording to further aid in steadying footage, especially when recording handheld.
DCI and UHD 4K Video RecordingIn addition to stills, the X-S10 also offers a versatile array of video capabilities, including internal DCI/UHD 4K recording at up to 30 fps and Full HD recording up to 240 fps for ultra slow-motion playback. Greatly benefitting overall video performance, the speed of the X-Processor 4 enables fast read speeds when recording video and helps to reduce rolling shutter distortion when filming moving subjects. Also, a micro-HDMI port enables 10-bit 4:2:2 recording to an optional external recorder for improved quality and the camera features a 3.5mm microphone jack for more advanced audio recording.
- High-resolution 2.36m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder has a 0.62x magnification for bright and clear eye-level viewing.
- Vari-angle 3.0″ 1.04m-dot LCD has a touchscreen design for intuitive operation and playback, and the articulating design greatly benefits working from high and low shooting angles. This vari-angle design also means you can close the screen against the camera body, hiding it from view for distraction-free shooting.
- Despite the compact design, a large righthand grip enables solid and stable handling for comfortable all-day use.
- The top plate incorporates a series of physical controls, including a dedicated exposure mode dial and two additional top dials, for fast, intuitive control over camera and exposure settings.
- Rear joystick is available for intuitive selecting and switching of AF points as well as menu navigation and image playback.
- Integrated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity allows for wirelessly sharing images to a mobile device or to use the device to remotely control the camera.
- Single SD memory card slot supports up to the UHS-I standard for fast and flexible file storage.
- Included NP-W126S battery provides approximately 325 frames per charge.
Film Simulation Modes
- Taking advantage of FUJIFILM’s vast history in traditional film-based photography, the X-S10 integrates several Film Simulation modes, which mimic the look and feel of some of FUJIFILM’s classic film types:< >Provia: The standard contrast and normal saturation color transparency filmVelvia: High contrast, high color saturation, and vivid color transparency filmAstia: Subdued contrast and color saturation with a look that is ideal for portraitsClassic Chrome: Delivers muted tones and deep color reproduction, similar to a dated slide filmClassic Neg: Muted contrast but vibrant colors with a vintage filmic feelPRO Neg: Available with both Hi and Std. contrast options, this mimics the punchy-but-natural feeling of their professional-grade color negative filmEterna: For a cinematic look, this provides a flat color, low saturation look well-suited to post-production color gradingEterna Bleach Bypass: Refines the standard Eterna look with a higher key, higher contrast feeling while maintaining the overall desaturated lookAcros: Based on the popular B&W film, this monochrome mode has a distinct tonality and graininess and can be used along with Yellow, Red, and Green contrast filter effectsB&W: Straightforward and classic black and white effect with Yellow, Red, and Green contrast filter optionsSepia: Everyone’s favorite old-timey look mimicking the popular alternative process
In addition to simulating specific film types, a Grain Effect mode is also available to replicate the look of old film photos with an organic textured appearance, which is especially noticeable when printing. Color Chrome and Color Chrome Blue effects are also available to deepen color, tonal response, and gradation with higher saturation colors.
XF 16-80mm f/4 R OIS WR LensIncluded with the camera body is the XF 16-80mm f/4 R OIS WR; a versatile 24-120mm-equivalent zoom, spanning wide-angle to medium-telephoto, and featuring a constant f/4 maximum aperture. Complementing this flexible design is an advanced optical layout, which includes a trio of aspherical elements and one ED aspherical element that help to minimize a variety of aberrations in order to produce high sharpness and clarity. A Super EBC coating also improves contrast and color neutrality by reducing flare and ghosting when working in strong lighting conditions. Also benefitting use in a variety of situations is a quick and quiet autofocus system along with a six stop-effective image stabilization system that minimizes the appearance of camera shake. Additionally, the lens is fully weather-sealed for working in inclement conditions.